When you want to buy a new product, it is logical to ask someone you trust what they know about the product. For the article writer or blogger, one way to get noticed, build that trust and create traffic (plus earn money through affiliate links) is to write product reviews for your products and others.
A snippet about this product or that won’t cut it. You need a structured article that answers all of the questions buyers like you might have. Here are a few pointers for writing well-read product reviews.
1. Mention the product in the title. Some people think of titles like, “The Last Mop you’ll ever need.” That’s great, but without pointing specifically to a brand of mop, this article will be passed over for one that does. Instead you can say, “Swiffer WetJet: The Last Mop you’ll ever need.” That mentions the product up front and a little extra to bait the hook. This will be helpful for driving organic search traffic to your review.
2. Capture their attention in the first paragraph. What can you say about the Swiffer WetJet? Hit the high points in the first paragraph so your readers will know what will be discussed further down in the article. Mention the product again and what it has done for you.
3. List the pros and cons of the product. Readers can spot a sham product review in a minute. If it is just a glorified testimonial with no substance, you will lose readers for future product reviews. Be honest about the product. Some people may not consider the cons as important as the pros but they have the right to decide for themselves without you hedging your bets.
4. Add photos and screenshots. A visual can go a long way your review. Demonstrate key features or show the product in use. Sometimes multiple photos or screenshots (in the case of an online or digital product) can be very helpful.
5. List tips for improved use of the product. Maybe you know that the Swiffer WetJet works best if the Swiffer Sweeper is used first to get up as much dirt and grime off the floor. Let readers know that. You could sell them on another product. The point here is that tips like this let the reader know that you have actually used the product and are familiar with it. A little snippet doesn’t show any of that.
6. Allow comments. User comments offer even more valuable information to your readers. It also offers the confidence that you are bringing a balanced perspective to the review.
Product reviews can make you money through affiliate programs or promoting your own products. For a dynamite review, include the information mentioned in the four pointers above.