It’s what everyone wants to know. How do you get more subscribers on your list?
If you know the power of the mailing list (and we hope you do), you’re probably always trying to get more people on yours. Of course, you want targeted subscribers, not just numbers.
Here are 10 steps to growing your targeted subscriber list:
1. Have a Great Offer: It’s not enough to say, “We have a newsletter…join!” You have to give them a compelling reason to subscribe. You can give them a free gift like a report, software or tool. Or if you’re mailing list has some other attractive perk, include that in your offer.
2. Change Your Offer Accordingly: Sometimes the same freebie or perk doesn’t work in all instances. Change it up to fit the appropriate situation. Just like with any advertising you do, always make your offer as targeted to the audience as possible.
3. Have Multiple Lists: Not only should the freebie or perk should be targeted, so should the email you send to the list. Target your list to the specific audience. This doesn’t mean you need 30 lists, but where it makes sense, do it. For example, if you’re in the women’s health market, you may have lists for healthy eating, exercise, etc.
4. Opt-In Form on Every Page: It’s email marketing 101, but a good reminder to have your opt-in offer on the top fold of each content page. If it’s a sales page, you may not want the distraction, but for your blog, articles and other content, get that opt-in form on there.
5. Dedicated Opt-in / Squeeze Page: In addition to having an opt-in form, create a full page dedicated to nothing but “selling” your freebie/perk and opting into your newsletter. This is going to be a key piece of real estate for building your list. See the resource link at the bottom of this post for help in creating your page.
6. Link to Your Opt-In / Squeeze Page: Once you have your page set up, make sure you link to it readily. Use it in your advertising, resource boxes, signatures and more. If you expect to send a lot of traffic from one linking source, create a special landing page that welcomes those visitors and target the offer as much as possible.
7. Refer-a-Friend and Share: Ask your subscribers to pass on your emails and to share them on social media. If they like your content, encourage them to make sure others know about it too.
8. Make Friends: This one is HUGE. One of the fastest ways to grow your list is to make friends of would-be competitors. It’s not a dog-eat-dog world out there amongst content publishers…most of them readily share, so get to know them and these relationships will be some of your biggest assets.
9. Build Your Traffic: Don’t wait for traffic to come to you, get out there and get it yourself. Use powerful advertising platforms like Facebook. They have over 1 billion users and get millions of visitors each day and they have so much intelligence on all those visitors that you can tap into for a successful ad campaign. If you’re not sure how to set up a Facebook Ad campaign, we recommend getting this step-by-step course.
10. Pay-Per-Lead: Instead of just paying your affiliates for each sale, you can also pay them for each new subscriber they bring you. We’ve done this in the past with good results. It was a fairly closed program (so we avoided much of the riff raff), but you will still need to monitor for any fraudulent activity and make sure you use a confirmed opt-in process.
Your mailing list is your biggest online business asset, so take the time and invest in growing it. Having subscribers you can email over and over again and sell your products to is priceless. Follow the steps above and you’ll build that asset that will pay for itself manifold.
Need Help Creating Your Email Marketing? We’ve Got You Covered
You’ve got plenty to keep you busy with running your online business. Let us take care of the writing, while you concentrate on growing that list? Click here to view our full service money savings program.
Or are you more of a do-it-yourself? Check out our September Bare Bones Monthly special.
We’d love to make your email marketing a whole lot easier and look forward to working with you.